As I walked around Athens I felt a great sadness, I looked at the decay of the once great temples I thought to myself is this what the end of humanity looks like.
I think its time to caveat that statement before I get a mob of Greek’s coming after me. Ancient Greece has always interested me, so perhaps I had unreal expectations. I spent around 7 days going around Greece so very much a whistle stop tour, therefore I wont produce a guide but instead will try to give some general impressions.
What I loved
- Food, especially Mouska with Greek Salad-I would happily have it as my last meal.
- Sailing the Greek seas, with its hidden caves and clear waters its a must do.
- The picturesque white stone houses and tiny paths.
- The poor customer service, I always considered the Greek’s the most welcoming of people, but I had some truly poor service.
- How run down some of the cities/towns were- I know Greece has had some problems for a while but I didn’t realise quite how it would affect the infrastructure.
- Linked to the above how the monuments were poorly kept, specifically the lack of information of the rich history they offered.
My purpose in writing this article was expectation management, as opposed to detering a visit.