A friend of mine has decided to make the best decision and take some time off to do some extended travelling. We are both natural introverts and therefore we need to put some strategies in place.
So this blog is for my fellow introverts who are worried about going solo travelling.
- Be you– so first and foremost be true to your personality. You are going to meet a lot of extroverts-great for them! Don’t try and copy them-were not good at it.
- Find purpose– it can be hard for some introverts to speak to strangers (although it gets really easy the longer your travel on your own) so find a commonality. There are a few strategies here: do community work like my friend, consider a group travel trip, join group activities and/or speak about possible trips/activities in the area, I have created so many new friendships by asking have you done X and ended up doing it with them.
- Recharge-remember to take ‘me’ time. Introverts energy and best ideas come when we take some time out. I personally find getting into nature and hiking by myself essential.
- Change-brace yourself for a series of different friends. It natural for us to find a few people and build deep connections. This can be dangerous as you need to keep moving forward and getting the best out of your journey.
- Just say no– there will be some strong extroverts who will naturally want to take charge. Just remember this is your adventure so if you don’t want to do something don’t be worried about saying no.
Introverts please write in if you need some advise based on my own persoanl experience.